Search engine optimization or SEO is a very potent technique that is used to drive a surge of qualitative traffic to a website. The traffic is generated through search engines using organic search results. The underlying principle of SEO is that the higher the page rank for a website on a search listing, the greater are its chances of attracting more visitors. SEO has become an indispensable tool for every online business today. It can be used to generate traffic for a diversity of searches such as image search, video search, blogs, local search as well as the more recent mobile search. The SEO strategy is calibrated by professionals based on extensive knowledge on how search engines function and the most frequent search terms which drive traffic to a website.
Search engine optimization is primarily done in two phases:
• The first phase includes editing and optimizing the coding structure and content of a website so that it becomes relevant to keywords and phrases and gets effectively indexed by the search engine bots.
• Generating inbound links from other websites so as to increase its credibility in the purview of search engines.
SEO services can be availed of either as an independent service or as a component of an elaborate marketing campaign. Since SEO techniques involve altering the internal codes of a site, it works best when used in website restructuring and redesign. If your website is “search engine friendly” it means that it has been optimized to gain traffic from search engines.
A number of SEO’s incorporate the use of Black Hat marketing techniques such as keyword stuffing and spamdexing. These are illegal practices and websites engaging in these practices run the risk of being penalized by search engines.
The components of an effective search engine optimization strategy that generates organic search results are as follows:
• Generating organic backlinks
• Analyzing your competitors
• Extensive keyword research
• Detailed analysis of website traffic
• Effective search engine copywriting
• On Page optimization